Skip to main content

Waste-not Staples: Eat More Beans

15 grams of protein. 6-12 grams of insoluble fiber. 4-5 g of soluble fiber. Plus vitamins and minerals, particularly potassium.

These all come from a one cup serving of cooked dry beans. The amounts of different nutrients vary based on the type of beans under discussion: black beans and kidney beans are very rich in iron, while lentils are a very good source of molybdenum and folate.

But we all knew this, right? Beans are healthy, beans are cheap, we should all eat more beans. Clearly nobody needs to hear any of this information again. Remind me why I thought this post was a good idea?

Oh. This is why. On average, a given American eats less than six pounds of beans in a year. That's about forty cups of beans annually, significantly less than a cup per week. We're all concerned about the burgeoning problems with cardiovascular disease, obesity, living wage, you name it--and we eat maybe a cup of beans in a week? Nonsense, I say! Balderdash, I proclaim! We can all do better, I aver! And so we shall, if I have anything to do with it.

Why Don't People Eat Beans?

I can't speak for everyone, but I can give anecdotal evidence based on my own experience, and the two main reasons I've found are 1. Beans don't taste that good and 2. Folk are unsure how to prepare them.

Taste

I've been guilty of this and have found quite a few people who feel the same: an absolute inability to eat beans. I would smell chili and think it smelled fantastic, and the first beany bite would be gagged down with many a grimace; a second bite was seldom attempted. For me it was the texture. The beans always seemed mushy, mealy, their skins unpleasant and their insides more so. I just couldn't abide them.

After I got married, however, economics demanded that I find a way around this aversion. I'd already taught myself to like mushrooms (true facts: I was motivated by a desire to identify more closely with hobbits), so I had some idea where to start: since my main aversion to beans was to the texture, I could simply eat foods with beans in them and swallow said beans whole. This is easier to do with black beans or navy beans than pintos or kidneys, but it can be done. There was a period of about a year when I ate chili or baked beans without chewing at all.

In the mean time I also came at the problem from the other direction: altering the texture of said beans. I could stand and even enjoy hummus, and refried beans were also tasty. I found that lentils disappear almost completely into a curry. With these tolerances as a starting point I could gradually work my way toward beanier and beanier textures: less than perfectly smooth refried beans, sneaking a few very small white beans into a soup, a curry that was bulked up with a ton of lentils instead of just a few. Over time I found that I could even (prepare yourself) bite into a bean without gagging. I was as shocked as you. And then, as I learned more about bean preparation and what makes a good batch of beans, I even found that I could enjoy beans.

Preparation

To start with, a major obstacle to most people's bean preparation is the soaking that beans require. It means you have to realize, as many as twelve hours in advance, that you're soon going to be consuming beans and that you need to start soaking them now. There are methods that are intended to shorten this cooking time (like the boil-rest-cook "Quick Soak Method" espoused by Bittman) but I don't recommend it. soaking doesn't just reduce cooking time and improve final texture--a good soaking of 8 hours or longer dissolves and mitigates phytic acid in the beans, making more of their nutrients bio-available. A shortened soak time leaves phytic acid in the beans, so that they (and the other foods you eat with them) provide less than the intended amount of nutritional benefit.

If you're like me and enjoy cooking large batches to save work, you'll probably already be planning a day's cook by the evening before; putting some beans in a bowl of water is a fairly painless addition to this routine. I'll also make more than my chili or stew strictly requires so that I will have some "emergency beans" ready to drop into nachos or mush up and add to the farce for meatloaf. When I'm soaking for the next day's cooking, I'll generally add something to the soaking liquid to help speed the mitigation of phytic acid: some 'bucha, perhaps, or a little whey from a container of yogurt. L. Acidophilus knows that phytic acid is nobody's friend, so it goes to work straightaway and greatly accelerates the breakdown of this anti-nutrient.

Come cooking time, I highly recommend giving it all the time it can possibly want. Lectins, an inflammatory and disease-causing plant substance, are destroyed by even a brief boil, but undercooked beans don't digest well so you lose a lot of that fiber, protein and nutrition we've been working so hard to retain. Drain the soaking water (it may still contain some phytic acid), add your liquid (it doesn't have to be water) and put it on the stove at a simmer.

I almost always cook beans in bone broth. For one thing, it helps the taste, giving the beans a meaty presence they otherwise lack. It also adds to their nutritional value and digestibility, plus being anti-inflammatory in nature. They benefit (at least in terms of flavor and texture) from some added fat, so if I don't have trimmings from a couple of pork chops or drippings from a roasted chicken available I'll add a couple of tablespoons of rendered lard or even a little olive oil or canola oil. They help give the finished beans a creamy texture. Often I'll drop in a bay leaf, and depending on the intended use I might add a dried chili pod. Some salt, perhaps some pepper, and then they get to simmer as long as they like. It won't do to rush them. When a bean squishes easily between a spoon and the side of the pan, they're done. I'll add them, liquid and all, to my batch of soup or curry, perhaps saving a cup or three for later as previously mentioned.

All that being said. You don't need bone broth, herbs, spices or even fat to cook good beans. With a proper soaking and a long, gentle boil, perhaps a little salt and a diced onion if available, you can prepare perfectly good dry beans to stretch that soup, mush into your meatball mixture or stir into cooked rice for the frugal classic staple. A tablespoon of bean puree can add nutrition and fiber to your bowl of tomato soup for lunch, or a much larger amount can disappear into the cheese sauce for a dish of macaroni or scalloped potatoes. You'll stay fuller, longer. Your digestive tract will work more efficiently. And you'll be able to get by with fewer of the more expensive ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waste-Not Meat and Dairy: What to Buy and How to Utilize It

For much of the year I adhere to a relatively strict $60/week grocery budget. In general I stay within this budget even on the weeks when I need to stock up on toilet paper or cat litter, and in the fall a significant amount of the budget gets used for stocking up on things we’ll want in the winter when the budget goes down to $10/week . (Fall is also when baking supplies like flour and chocolate chips hit rock bottom prices—I bought enough flour last fall that I shouldn’t need to buy it again until August, even though I make all my own pasta and tortillas and a significant portion of our bread.) So if I’m only spending $60/week on groceries, what do I buy? What could possibly stretch far enough to feed a family of six on only $60? Let’s start with this qualifier—I have a freezer full of homegrown meat. I’ve got pounds of ground beef from a dairy cow that had milk fever a couple years ago (make a mental note to talk with your local dairy farmer). I’ve got probably a pig an

Waste Not Garden Space: prioritizing your planting for variety and enjoyment

Oh, my goodness, can it be that time of year again? I'm afraid so, everybody! I've got almost a dozen flats of planted seeds, the very first pepper plants are poking up their shy cotyledons, and pretty soon I'll be planting my flat on onion seeds as well! (I usually end up planting some sets but my goal is to be able to rely on seeds entirely one of these years... given that it's March, this won't be the year either, but a girl can dream!) Seed shopping might be the most fun part of gardening. I know very few people who would put up a determined resistance to that assertion. I mean, sure, eating what you planted is fun too, but that fun is spread across the growing season and interspersed with a ton of hard work; but seed shopping? looking at dozens of pretty pictures, reading dozens of cute and interesting descriptions, drawing garden layout sheets with your favorite pens on your favorite graph paper? That wins. Hands down. Now if you've been blessed with

Waste Not Thy Years: don't settle for a bad career path

This is a tough one. On the one hand, my husband and I are living proof that with hard work and frugality it's possible to save money and even start a homestead on an income well below the poverty line. On the other hand, there are days when I stop and think about how much sooner our goals could have been realized, how much more stability our lives could have contained, if we'd chased down a better job for my husband years ago instead of months ago. There are a lot of reasons why people might choose not to pursue a more lucrative position. Maybe you don't currently have any skills and the cost and effort to obtain the skills you need seems prohibitive. Maybe the last time you hunted for a job you found the process to be stressful and unpleasant, and you aren't keen on boing through it all again in the near future. Maybe you have a great relationship with your co-workers or a great enjoyment for your current employment, and feel that seeking more pay would be at the ex