Skip to main content

Waste Not Egg Whites

We have a few dozen chickens. This may seem excessive, but it really isn't: besides selling a few dozen each week to our neighbors, we like to be able to eat all the eggs we want. I see fresh, homegrown eggs as an incredible superfood, loaded to the brim with vitamins, minerals, protein and the very best kind of fats.

You might think that, with all these dozens of eggs lying around, I might be less than stingy in making use of them. Nothing could be further from the truth! These eggs are squishy gold inside a calcitic shell. Every one of them is a precious gift, not to be wasted or squandered wantonly. Eggs are one of the most luxurious ingredients known to man; in ancient times they were much harder to come by, only available in quantity on a seasonal basis, and therefore highly prized. Their emulsifiers are a key component in homemade mayonnaise; their richness makes a cheesecake even more decadent; their proteins add structure to baked goods that would otherwise crumble and fall, and makes homemade pasta much sturdier and at the same time richer.

All the things I mention above can benefit from the same addition: one or more extra egg yolks. Mayonnaise benefits more from yolk than from whites; a cheese cake or other baked good can be sent into new atmospheric layers of decadence with the addition of a yolk (or three); and the more yolks you put in your homemade pasta, the more delectable it will be. All this is leaving aside lemon curd, carbonara sauce, and a million other decadent treats that call for extra yolks in the egg department. But all this demand for egg yolks leads to an inevitable dilemma: what to do with the whites?

The obvious answer, meringue, isn't quite as simple a solution as it may sound. Sure, a batch of meringue cookies or even a pavlova (a New Zealand dessert consisting of a large meringue crust filled with fruit and whipped cream) will use up a bunch of egg whites--but only if they whip, which is something that's hard to guarantee as meringue is notoriously tempermental. If I'm going to separate eggs, I want to be sure that I'll be able to utilize the whites. And if I do try to make meringue, I like to have a backup plan in case Jupiter happens to be in the wrong sign and the endeavor fails.


As a result, I present to you the world's most forgiving cookie.



Recipe: Coconut Macaroons

1 egg white 
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes 
1/4 cup sugar, or to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a baking sheet. Mix the coconut flakes into the egg white 1/4 cup at a time; if the mixture is in danger of becoming too dry to form into a loose ball, stop short of the full cup. Add whatever amount of sugar seems appropriate to you. Form into balls that meet your size preferences, place on cookie sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes. I like them golden with some brown at the loosest tips of coconut.

This recipe can be doubled, quintupled, or otherwise increased based on the number of egg whites you have on hand. It can be made with a failed meringue as long as you remember how many egg whites were in the meringue; just add an appropriate amount of coconut flakes and sugar (if none was added to the meringue before it failed). The cookies can be dipped in melted chocolate for extra decadence.

Bonus Waste-Not Tip: I bought coconut in a 10 lb box from Webstaurantstore.com. Now at very little expense I can make macaroons whenever the necessary egg whites present themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waste-Not Meat and Dairy: What to Buy and How to Utilize It

For much of the year I adhere to a relatively strict $60/week grocery budget. In general I stay within this budget even on the weeks when I need to stock up on toilet paper or cat litter, and in the fall a significant amount of the budget gets used for stocking up on things we’ll want in the winter when the budget goes down to $10/week . (Fall is also when baking supplies like flour and chocolate chips hit rock bottom prices—I bought enough flour last fall that I shouldn’t need to buy it again until August, even though I make all my own pasta and tortillas and a significant portion of our bread.) So if I’m only spending $60/week on groceries, what do I buy? What could possibly stretch far enough to feed a family of six on only $60? Let’s start with this qualifier—I have a freezer full of homegrown meat. I’ve got pounds of ground beef from a dairy cow that had milk fever a couple years ago (make a mental note to talk with your local dairy farmer). I’ve got probably a pig an

Waste Not Garden Space: prioritizing your planting for variety and enjoyment

Oh, my goodness, can it be that time of year again? I'm afraid so, everybody! I've got almost a dozen flats of planted seeds, the very first pepper plants are poking up their shy cotyledons, and pretty soon I'll be planting my flat on onion seeds as well! (I usually end up planting some sets but my goal is to be able to rely on seeds entirely one of these years... given that it's March, this won't be the year either, but a girl can dream!) Seed shopping might be the most fun part of gardening. I know very few people who would put up a determined resistance to that assertion. I mean, sure, eating what you planted is fun too, but that fun is spread across the growing season and interspersed with a ton of hard work; but seed shopping? looking at dozens of pretty pictures, reading dozens of cute and interesting descriptions, drawing garden layout sheets with your favorite pens on your favorite graph paper? That wins. Hands down. Now if you've been blessed with

Waste Not Thy Years: don't settle for a bad career path

This is a tough one. On the one hand, my husband and I are living proof that with hard work and frugality it's possible to save money and even start a homestead on an income well below the poverty line. On the other hand, there are days when I stop and think about how much sooner our goals could have been realized, how much more stability our lives could have contained, if we'd chased down a better job for my husband years ago instead of months ago. There are a lot of reasons why people might choose not to pursue a more lucrative position. Maybe you don't currently have any skills and the cost and effort to obtain the skills you need seems prohibitive. Maybe the last time you hunted for a job you found the process to be stressful and unpleasant, and you aren't keen on boing through it all again in the near future. Maybe you have a great relationship with your co-workers or a great enjoyment for your current employment, and feel that seeking more pay would be at the ex